Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Working Mom Guilt

Do you ever get that overwhelming feeling of guilt about being a working mom? I know I do. The days when work has gone badly, you see the kids for barely an hour in the evenings, the worst possible point of the day when everyone is tired and patience is short. Once everyone is tucked up in bed I feel guilty and regretful about who I snapped at or that I didn’t make the most of my limited time.

Conversely, I also feel guilty when we’ve had good days. I find myself wishing I had more time, and imagining what life would be like if I could do this every day. On those days I am deeply envious of stay at home moms. That life seems so carefree and fun (rationally I realize it’s not, but that isn’t what it seems like at the time).

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my job. I enjoy what I do, and who I work with. But in those moments of guilt, I wonder if I made the right choice.

Questioning if our decision was the right one isn’t limited to working moms. This article from a stay at home mom shows the regrets from the other perspective. I thought it was very interesting and on those days when I’m feeling too guilty, will be a good reminder of one of the upsides to working.

TTYL,

Organized Working Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment