Sunday, January 16, 2011

Diet friendly football food

I love me some football. I also love to eat some tasty football snacks. But considering the time period between thanksgiving and the new year was a complete blur of over-indulgence, I really need to make sure my diet stays on track today.

Incidentally, I have now lost six of the ten pounds I put on over the holiday season. I probably should have made that my resolution instead of the two that I actually did make, but haven't made any progress towards whatsoever!

So, here are my strategies for eating healthier football snacks:

  • Make your own pizza instead of ordering some. This cuts the calories by over 2/3 and is just as delicious (plus it's a fun activity for the kids).
  • Eat plain chips instead of ruffled chips. I LOVE ruffled chips, but the ruffles increase the amount of potato into a smaller surface area so it automatically adds calories (if you think about stretching the chip out, it would be huge compared to a regular chip).
  • Trade in the creamy, ranch dips for hummus or salsa. Lower calorie, and healthier too.
  • Make your own guacamole. Guacamole is actually a very healthy spread and with it's pure ingredients, can lower cholesterol. Unfortunately, what is in the fridge at the grocery store might not even contain avocado.
  • If you are a grazer like me, have fruit, veggie sticks, and edamame available to snack on.
Enjoy the football today! Since the Chargers (my team) didn't even make the playoffs, and the Eagles (hubby's team) already got eliminated I think I'm going to have to root for LT and the Jets.

TTYL,

Organized Working Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment